Sunday 4 May 2014

Lunetta di Sarvos [Empire LARP] : Autumn Solstice (E4 2013) diary

[Josée's Note: I have a confession to make about this diary entry. 30% (maybe) of it was not written post E4. In fact, I have only just completed it now. I found it difficult to write about the approach of the battle, and it put me off writing Lunetta's diary for a while. Still, it is complete now, but with the sad result that I can't remember what I did post-battle. Still, here is Lunetta's diary from September last year.]

Autumn 377YE – Anvil : Friday

Much of the past month or so has been spent preparing for the wake of Matthias and Reynard. I think everything is in order, ready for Saturday. I can only pray that this torrential rain eases off before it. The weather has been unkind to us for the past week or so, so we may be holding this wake in a tent, rather than outside as I had hoped. Still, that is to come. I created some books to help my brothers and sisters of faith to focus on the abilities that the Way gives us. I have had some interest from across the Empire, so I am intending to visit as many of the priests who ordered one as possible this evening.

-----
I met with Ifan Nighthaven on my travels – I had encountered him briefly when last in Anvil, and had dined with the Nighthaven group most evenings. He is a determined Night Mage, interested in the value of Ilium in the eyes of the Eternals, and trying to find a way of producing Ilium. We had a few conversations; he is a lovely gentleman, if almost too focussed on his research. I visited most of the camps I could and gave the books to their respective owners. Everyone seemed pleased with the quality, even if they weren’t waterproof! As I returned to the Carta Bellamarina, a Cambion came by, asking about the wake. I had not encountered him before, so introduced myself and told him when it would be occurring. He seemed determined to appear at the wake, which was wonderful. I am glad my fears were wrong; that Matthias and Reynard really had reached out and touched the hearts of others. Felix was his name. I hope he is able to attend.
-----
I returned to Nighthaven to eat, sitting with Ifan and Tock, while Keirion traded with many other travellers entering their tent. It has been a lovely evening, but I feel tiredness beginning to creep in. I will retire to bed shortly, I must be in the best way I can for the wake tomorrow evening.

The wake…ending a chapter not meant to end yet.

Lunetta.

Autumn 377YE – Anvil : Saturday

I awoke in a far better mood than I had expected to. Today is going to be a hard day, I know that, but to wake to sunshine and a cooling breeze, rather than rain and overcast skies was a pleasure. Matthias and Reynard must be as determined as I am for this wake to go well – it seems as good a reason as any for the skies to clear as much as they have…and I’d like to think they are within the Labyrinth, if they are not already walking amongst us again, watching out for those they cared for in life.
-----
As I walked back from breakfast with the Nighthaven group, I encountered a young woman, shouting that exorcisms of curses from the battlefield were required at the portal. Handily, Tock had also appeared, so I asked him to join me at the portal. As we arrived, there were a few members of Wintermark and the Imperial Orcs that seemed disorientated and confused. I exorcised one gentleman before being beckoned over with haste by one of the Imperial Orcs. They seemed to have sustained many curses upon their number. There was a plan hatched to get all the Orcs involved into the Pit so that Tock, myself, and a priest and priestess from Dawn could exorcise them one by one. We were warned, though, that Liao and Orcs do not necessarily do well together. We were told that they can react badly, in a violent manner, to the use of Liao. Bearing this, rather concerning information in mind, Tock and I entered the Pit while the other priests dealt with the remaining few in the tent. Tock exorcised two orcs (one of whom was being distracted by Stormcrow Gralka) while I exorcised a battle healer and a Chaplain.
The Chaplain, Atla, was firstly female and not male (causing me much embarrassment as I realised!) and secondly was truly lovely. She reimbursed me the liao spent on exorcising the curse from her, and then explained how she had no issue with giving liao to those using it for a virtuous reason for the good of the Empire, but took umbridge with those looking to use it purely for their own gain. I very much enjoyed talking to her, and cannot wait to enter the Orc camp again, knowing I now have friends amongst them. I have wanted to interact with them for some time, but they have an issue with lone wanderers approaching them. Tock says that it is because, in Orc culture, to be alone means you have been cast out of your family; your group. To be cast out as such you must be a felon of some kind, meaning that lone wanderers are viewed with distrust and hostility. If it is true, then it would explain the Orcs dislike of wanderers and lone adventurers.

I also realised while I was in the camp that I had been asked to hand two sets of my priestly books to Stormcrow Gralka. As I did so, she told me of how the written word and stories were all the Orcs had had of their own as slaves. She herself is writing tales of heroes and warriors and wondered if she could swap a book for a book, as it seems that the Orcs receive less coin than most of the other nations. The thought of receiving such a gift from Gralka was slightly overwhelming, and I accepted with haste. I cannot wait to see her writings in the Winter, it is wonderfully exciting!
-----
I continued around Anvil, trying to give out the rest of my books, running into Concordia and having a conversation with Maryam in the Four Rivers Theatre about how best to organise the wake, and eventually ended up back at the Nighthaven camp. The Dawnish priest I had worked with to exorcise the Orcs came by, asking for Tock’s icon of exorcism for the following morning. Noting he had worked with me, he asked for my assistance. Of course, I agreed…and then realised he meant on the battlefield. I was suddenly filled with an awful sense of worry, dread and panic.

I don’t own any armour. I don’t own any weapons. I don’t know how to fight. I don’t know how to defend. Matthias and Reynard were seasoned fighters, punching well above their weight…and well…they are no longer with us. All in all, this seems like a dire situation. I don’t know what to do. I can’t go back to the Dawnish priest and tell him I can’t fight alongside him; I have a loyalty to the Empire I must fulfil…but if I enter that battlefield…I’m not going to return.

I need to talk to Ifan – he seems level-headed when it comes to these sorts of situations. I am sure he must be nearby.
-----
Ifan was…somewhat more upset by the idea of me entering the battlefield than I had expected. He took me straight back to Nighthaven and spoke to Keirion, who proceeded to outfit me with magical armour and weaponry. Giacomo, another member of their group took me outside and began to teach me some basic blocking and attacking moves, making it clear that I should only be aiming to defend, chancing rebuttal blows rarely. “Get on the battlefield safely, come off the battlefield safely” was his mantra to me.

It was during this hour of training I sustained my first injury, cutting myself on the heavy chain mail I was wearing as I hadn’t moved my sword arm far enough away. I didn’t even notice. Giacomo stopped and then wiped the blood off my finger before I noticed I had injured myself.

Time had moved on, and the scheduled time for the wake was approaching. With a sense of unease and great sorrow, I began my journey to the Carta Bellamarina to get the camp set up for a gathering of I knew not how many.
-----
On arrival, Gaspar was making tea and the table and chairs were spread around the table as per usual. There were nibbles and snacks on the table, and it looked too…cluttered for a peaceful wake. Concordia, the good Doctor and I began to shift food and chairs away from the table, and Gaspar brought out goblets and began pouring tea as the rest of the mourners arrived.

I gathered the veil I had made in the time I spent back in Sarvos while preaching to my congregation there. I had searched high and low for material that was understated; I wanted my veil to be handmade; every stitch representing a split second of my time with Reynard and Matthias. I wanted the red and blue of the Carta Bellamarina to be there, and it seemed fitting, given that Matthias often wore blue and Reynard often wore red. I wanted it to be personal, and bold; something out-of-place; something unusual. I wanted people to take note of the fact that it was required for a reason, and not just another piece of “League adornment”.

As I placed the veil over my head, a small gathering of ten or twelve people had formed. I thought rather than having two separate candles, one tall, strong candle would fit the duo better. They were brothers in everything but blood, and to separate them even in symbol felt wrong.
I could not have prayed for a better evening to remember their legacies. The sky was a perfect, clear blue, and Csongor, the accordionist played beautiful haunting – but not sombre – music. Maryam helped the tales of Reynard and Matthias flow, and Csongor had produced a short poem on their behalf. I know that Csongor had not known them well, but his poem truly captured their brotherhood and friendship.

However, Felix caught my eye most of all. He had managed to attend, and had brought flowers in tribute. It wasn’t this that made me sit and take note of his attendance though. That came about during the brief period of reflecting on our memories of the two of them. When I mentioned how Matthias had told me of how he had wanted no family as he was a soldier and would die, and didn’t want to leave anyone behind, Felix nodded, and was in as much emotional turmoil as I was. He didn’t nod in a particularly noticeable way to those who weren’t in a state of particularly heightened emotion, I imagine, but I noticed. No-one else took any note of that memory more than any other, but Felix had. I wasn’t in a particularly good place to ask of it, given the fact that I wasn’t containing my emotions very well at all, but I do hope to meet him again before too long, to ask him the one question I need answered: How close was he to them; to Matthias, especially?

I wasn’t holding myself together very well at all, but I was trying. But as soon as the good Doctor handed the candle to me as “it is only right that you extinguish the candle”…I couldn’t even pretend that I was maybe anything close to alright. The shaking façade collapsed, and as I extinguished the candle, I collapsed into tears. It was closure, but it felt awful anyway.

After the wake, I returned to Nighthaven and spoke to Ifan once more, and…it was at this point I found myself struggling to speak without crying. I didn’t expect the wake to hit me as hard as it did. I began to feel my usually bright and determined exterior collapsing around me, and found myself yelling at him. I could hear my voice as if I were an onlooker, high and shrill, telling him it was clear that I would die on the battlefield; that if Matthias and Reynard couldn’t survive I had no hope of doing so. Despite my outbursts, I found myself brought close to his chest, the fur on his overcoat calming and warm. How I cried.

We went to go to the tavern, but I had forgotten of the Loyalty Assembly’s meeting that had been arranged, after our election of our Cardinal. Cursing at myself for being so thrown by the wake, I dashed across to the Hub, and took part in the discussions, keenly aware that I needed to focus on preparing for the battle ahead. I aided in the symbolic testimonial on our new Cardinal – who just had to be Jared.

I don’t recall whether or not I have spoken much of my relationship with Jared, so in a nutshell: I adore him. He is so gentle, so softly spoken, calm and unshakeable. He is the Steward of the Dead for the Suns of Couros and was such great help in my most desperate time of need. When I found out Matthias and Reynard were dead, he was the one I ran to in confusion, pain and desperation. He had no issue with taking me away from the crowds, asking about how I felt; where I saw my path leading me, and then gently encouraging with his quiet, gentle, soothing words. He convinced me to trust in my faith when my faith was close to lost, and to carry Reynard and Matthias with me, to my new ministries, wherever they occurred. Jared has earned my rightful respect and loyalty. He is indeed a virtuous man, and one I have been very much honoured to have met.

This caused me something of an issue in the vote. Most people would probably have suggested (at least within the League) that I should have voted for Julian, the ex-Cardinal who only lost his position originally because he was unable to join us at Anvil last gathering, but Jared had supported me in a way no other had and had been wonderful about everything. I think it is probably clear who I voted for.

After our meeting, I returned to eat with Ifan and the Nighthaven again, and Giacomo took me out to spar for a short time once again. I returned to the Bellamarina and asked if anyone had a buckler I could borrow, and was directed to the Four Rivers Theatre, where Maryam resided. One of her fellow actors lent me his buckler – rounded at the edges to catch blades, and I explained my reasons for entering the field. They made me promise to return safely.

I returned to the Bellamarina for a short while. They mentioned the flower tribute Felix had left for Matthias and Reynard, and how they hoped they could continue this each future gathering. I promised that should I come across him, I would let him know of the impact his small token had made on the Bellamarina as a whole.

I write now as I retire to bed, worried and alone. I can only hope that tomorrow I will not join Reynard and Matthias in the Labyrinth.

Lunetta.

Autumn 377YE – Anvil : Sunday

I awoke early this morning, an odd assortment of chainmail, leather, sword and buckler laid on my dressing table. My sleep had been fitful and marred with the memory of Cormac’s words as he returned through the portal. I forced myself to eat what little I could stomach, and dressed, as ready as I could be for battle.

It took me aback, the number of people who stopped me to make me promise I would return, or to tell me “don’t die out there” or “come back safely”. Their concern was touching but it did nothing for my nerves. All-in-all there must have been around ten or eleven people who stopped me. Unfortunately I was unable to find Felix before I was required to join the rest of The League who were mustering near the portal.

I have been told to join the Compagnia di Rossi for the time being and to keep myself with them. I only hope I survive long enough to write in here once more.

Lunetta.

-----

I…survived.

Somehow…I…survived.

Tock almost bowled me over when he saw me return through the portal. I wasn’t going to complain, though – his embrace was truly appreciated. I hadn’t expected anyone’s reaction to be quite so emotionally charged.

As I walked away from the portal, I spotted Felix. Still in my chainmail, aching from the weight, I ran to him. He seemed subdued, but smiled when I passed Concordia’s message to him. We didn’t get much time to converse as he was busy on an errand while I needed to get changed back into my normal clothes. His subdued nature and previous appearance at the wake struck me, and I found myself once again wondering about his connection to my fallen friends.

I returned the buckler and met the Bellamarina, who – in a far more reserved way than Tock – were glad to see me back. I returned to the Nighthaven camp, and gave the sword, trousers and chainmail back. Ifan embraced me much like Tock had, and was greatly relieved that I had returned. Giacomo offered to continue teaching me how to fight, which I appreciated, and I gratefully accepted the offer.

I remember very little of what happened after this…I know I spent some time with Ifan and the Nighthaven steading, but my mind kept focussing back on the battle. I think I was distracted and distant from most people after that…I found myself in something of a personal quandary. You see…on that battlefield…

There was so much disloyalty. So very, very much.

I tried, to the best of my abilities, to stay with the Compagnia di Rossi, which was far easier said than done. I told them I was a priest, whose sole role was to aid in the healing of Imperial forces who were spiritually wounded. This was taken on-board…until we actually reached the main field of battle.

We were ambushed by archers in the woods. I didn’t stand and defend as the comments of those back in Anvil rang in my head; Giacomo’s ditty: “Get on the battlefield safely, come off the battlefield safely” was very prominent indeed, and I found myself mentally calling on Matthias and Reynard for courage and determination. I regret not standing alongside my fellow Leaguesmen and women, but I doubt I could have aided them. Indeed, I fear I would only have been a hindrance.

When we got to the main field of battle, it was already chaos. Whatever I was meant to have helped stop summoning was already summoned and the other nations seemed to be struggling. Trying to figure out who was in command was difficult if not completely impossible. As soon as we joined the rest of the nations, I was pushed to the frontline, due to the armour I wore.

One of the Barbarian Orcs seemed to spot me in the frontline, and took it upon himself to taunt me. The gentleman stood next to me told me not to pay attention, but we were both cut short when someone behind us told us to step aside. Doing as I was told, the speaker (an archer) launched an arrow in the Orc’s direction, hitting him, perfectly timed, across his rear, as he wiggled it in our direction. It must have woken the Barbarian up, though, as he stopped taunting, and seemed far quieter afterwards!

A dragonesque creature was running along the frontlines and making mad dashes towards us at points. I was unlucky and struck by its claw. A feeling of nausea and dizziness overcame me, and it was only due to the quick thinking of a warrior nearby that I was given an antidote in fantastically quick time.

There was a call for priests about three-quarters of the way through, so I followed the Dawnish warrior calling. The call seemed to stop suddenly, though, and I was left amongst some of the Dawnish warriors, far away from where I had originally been.

I made my way back to the League and this was when I began to hear things that set me on edge. A group of Dawnish warriors were attempting to retreat. The bravos stood near me began to heckle and chant at them, rebuking them for running, and laughing as Orcs began to encircle them. Shocked at their sudden lack of concern for their fellow warriors, I stepped back, out of the fray. A Dawnish gentleman ran across and shouted at the Bravos, and then pleaded for their aid. Some went, others laughed and ignored them. I have never seen such brazen displays of wilful ignorance and disloyalty to fellow nations. It made me sick to be associated with those who would call out such things. In Anvil we were allies; heckling each other yes, but allies nevertheless. Yet here, where it mattered most a Nation, my Nation had let another down, and goaded them while their warriors were being slaughtered.

The battle line began to move to the aid of the Dawnish, and we too were given the order to retreat. As we neared the forest, a Dawnish gentleman caught my eye. He was pleading for a priest to exorcise his companion. I rushed across, glad to finally be doing something I was good at. We removed him from the front line and I stood with him. He said the colour of the world was fading away, that there was no colour left in the world. I had heard of the two curses that were being seen back in Anvil, and I believed that this particular curse had the effect of eventually killing its sufferer. With this in mind, I pulled one of my vials of liao from my pouch and focussed.
In some ways, the exorcism reminded me of the good in my own life; the colours and vitality seen in my own days. “Think.” I remember saying. “Think of the colours of your comrades’ clothes. Think of the colours of your standard and banner; the loyalties and friendships it stands for and signifies.” I myself began to think of the Bellamarina, Matthias and Reynard…the blue and red of the banners and the gold of Concordia’s horns.

Over time, the warrior began to return to his senses, which I was truly relieved to see. His companion thanked me, and I ran to join my comrades in the forest. I do not know who that warrior was, nor who he has to thank for getting my attention. I am just glad that in some small way I played my part in the protection of the Empire…and in keeping someone safe. Another gentleman offered me a sip of water as I walked along. I introduced myself and I found myself in the company of the Cardinal of Courage. I joked that it seemed fitting to meet such a person on my return from the battlefield.

I have much to think on from my short time on the battlefield…but I think it is safe to say that I will return to it someday soon. There is much to learn in such a place that is usually well-hidden or almost invisible in Anvil. I doubt I would have seen the disloyalty I saw had I kept away as I had originally intended.

So once again I find myself on the return from Anvil with much to think about. I intend to write Felix a letter soon, and make proper contact with him that way. I hope that I may find a friend in him, and he in me. We have both, it seems, suffered much in recent nights. I only hope he does not push me away or consider me to be intruding. Still…I suppose if you never try…you never know.


Lunetta.

No comments:

Post a Comment